When you’re running an ecommerce store, it’s easy to let website maintenance slip...or forget about it altogether. If you could use help, hiring a developer who specializes in Shopify is a sure-fire way to get someone to take tech matters off your hands.
The problem is that it can be hard to know what it’ll cost you. Agencies charge anywhere from $100 - $10,000 for various Shopify-related projects. Why is that? And do you really have to spend thousands on your store?
Short answers: A lot of factors impact price, and yes, you might need to spend thousands.
Long answers: keep reading.
A lot of factors go into what a freelance web developer charges. Things like the current state of your theme's codebase, the level of customization you need, and the timeframe you’re looking to work within all affect price.
In addition, developers have diverse skill sets, operate at different skill levels, and have spent different amounts of time in the field. All of these factors impact their rates.
Think of it this way: someone fresh out of culinary school will charge less to cater your wedding than a renowned chef like Emeril Lagasse.
Emeril’s value lies in the fact that he’s an experienced chef who will give you great service and a meal you’ll never forget. Just like hiring a chef for an event, it’s important to think about value when you’re hiring a developer.
The Value of a Developer
When you hire an experienced developer, the value you’re getting lies far beyond a pretty website. Having a professional on your side ensures your site is operating at 100% and your customers will have an excellent user experience, which has a huge impact on your conversions.
A 2016 Forrester Research study found that a well-designed user interface could raise your conversion rate by up to 200%, and a UX-focused design could yield a 400% increase in conversions.
Those numbers are impressive, and they’re not out of reach! A Shopify developer can help you achieve that growth by:
- Turning your vision into a custom Shopify theme
- Building an app that will fix a business need, like syncing extra customer attributes to your email marketing platform
- Saving you money in the long run by doing it right the first time
- Ensuring that your site is built using best practices for an optimal performance and customer experience
Things to Consider When Hiring a Shopify Developer
When you’re looking to hire a web developer, you have a lot of options. No matter your budget, keep these things in mind when you’re ready to bring an expert onto your team:
- What is your budget? Think about this realistically and honestly. More often than not, freelancers are cheaper than an agency. The downside is that they may not be as reliable.
- Are you going to pick a theme and build on top of it or do you need a custom theme?
- Have you decided which apps you need? Will you need any apps built from scratch?
- Do you want someone local or are you willing to work with a remote developer?
- Are you willing to cut corners or would you rather have a solid codebase?
Whether you’re ready for a custom site or want to chat about ongoing tech support in the form of a retainer package, we’re here! Start by reserving your free 30-minute consultation.